Five Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your Newborn Session
14 - 03 - 23
Your newborn session is an investment. So it’s really important for you (and for me!) to make the most of it, and really get the best images that we can. We are pausing a moment in time, and capturing images that you will treasure for a lifetime. Baby photography is something I have been doing for years now, so, here are my top five tips to get the most out of your newborn session:
1. Plan your outfits in advance. And I don’t mean the day before! As soon as you have booked your session, start thinking about what you might want to wear. Your outfit choices and colour palette will really impact on the overall look and feel of your gallery, so it’s important! I provide outfit tips in my pre session guide, and am always happy to help with choices. For baby’s, white or neutral onesies are perfect. For children and adults, I always suggest a neutral colour palette, with a pop of colour if you would like that. Also, have any outfit changes to hand on the day.
2. If there is anything sentimental you would like included in the images, for example a blanket, make sure you have this ready to go in advance. This will save time and also ensure it isn’t forgotten on the day.
3. If our session is taking place at your home, have a little tidy the day before. Not a spring clean! Just a de clutter, toys tidied/put away, washing out of sight etc. Whilst I love to capture you in your home in an authentic way, I would hate for you to receive your images and think “why didn’t we put that pile of clothes in the background away!”.
4. If there is a specific shot you would like me to capture, let me know either beforehand or on the day. I would hate to leave and for you to think “oh we forgot to get a photo of X”. Whilst my sessions are lifestyle and natural, I am always happy to take a specific shot or two if that’s something you would love. It is your session after all!
5. And lastly, relax, and prepare to go with the flow on the day. Babies and children will always run the session, and I am always take their lead. Trust me when I say that I have had sessions with babies that won’t settle, children that are shy, and children that couldn’t be less interested in me being there! I have experienced it all, and yet, I have never had a session where I was unable to provide a gallery of beautiful images. We make it work by taking the lead of your children, nothing is ever forced to happen. But you must be prepared to let go and have fun!
And there are my top five tips for getting the most out of your newborn session. I hope you found it useful! If you haven’t already booked your baby photographer and would like me to capture some precious memories for you, feel free to get in touch below. I photograph newborns all over Buckinghamshire. Most of my newborn photography clients are from Bicester, Oxford, The Chalfonts, Aylesbury and surrounding areas.